This garden lighting Help & Tips section aims to give you advice to help you understand some of the technical factors behind planning your garden lighting system, from choosing the right bulbs to working out the size of transformer you need. The information is presented as help sheets on individual topics which you can select from the list on the left. Or you can browse the “frequently asked questions” page, which will guide you through to the right answers.
This information is necessarily general in nature and advisory only – you need to accept that exterior electrical installations should be undertaken by a qualified electrician as DIY electrics are a potential source of injury or worse in gardens, so this web site doesn’t aim to replace the skills, knowledge or experience of a good garden lighting electrician. Also in England you need your electrician to provide a Part P certificate to comply with building regulations and include in a future Sellers Pack. So please don’t ask us for advice on doing a DIY installation!
The advice we provide is in the form of help sheets listed by subject – click on the subject heading you are interested in to find the help sheets available. Click on the title to read it or download it to read later. Each help sheet also provides links to relevant products or other help sheets discussing related topics in plain text.
Help & Tips is concerned with advice on physical use of lighting equipment in gardens - if you need help on understanding creative garden lighting effects and applying them to your garden, have a look at the Garden Lighting Design Guide for advice and information from the professionals.
- Outdoor lights: An introducton to lighting trees
- Outdoor lights: A guide to lighting Pleached trees
- Outdoor lights: A guide to lighting tall narrow dense canop trees
- Outdoor lights: a guide to lighting tall narrow open canopy trees
- Outdoor lights: A guide to lighting wide, dense canopy trees
- Outdoor lights: Quick reference tree table
- Outdoor lights: A guide to lighting Wide Open Canopy Trees
- Outdoor lights; A guide to lighting Multi stem trees
- 12v Tree Uplighting
- Cable Joint Kits
- Cabling for 12v halogen lights
- Cabling for 12v led. lights
- Filters & Lenses
- Exterior Transformers
- Lamp choice for garden lighting
- IP Ratings
- LED power supplies
- Lighting a shrub border
- Low voltage versus Mains voltage
- Choosing transformer size
- Spike spotlights key features
- Uplighting large trees
- Weathering of materials
- Wireless Lighting Controls - Light Symphony case studies
- For technical advice email; email@example.com
- For free technical support call 01462 486777
Copyright 2014; Information based on products supplied by Lighting for Gardens Limited and is advisory only. The company accepts no responsibility for incorrect use or application of information given. Light fittings can become hot in use; exercise appropriate precautions. Exterior electrical installations should be undertaken by a qualified electrician.